I am currently 36 weeks pregnant so I am getting sorted for all things labour related. I was trailing though Pinterest and I can across a recipe for "padsicles" and I was intrigued.
These homemade frozen padsicles are used postpartum as they have good healing properties to speed up recovery of the perineum and other areas - so I thought I would give them ago - anything to help!!
To make these Padsicles you will need -
1.Maternity pads or Night sanitary pads
2.Organic Aloe Vera Gel (I picked mine up from Whole Foods Market)
3.Witch Hazel liquid - Astringent which helps to close pores and heal skin
4.Lavender essential oil - This helps calm swelling or inflammation of skin and also helps to supports cellular regeneration
5.Geranium essential oil - This helps heal any broken capillaries and conditions the skin
6.Rosemary essential oil - Helps fight infection and inflammation it also strengthens muscles
7.Spray bottle (optional)
8.Cling film/ Tin foil
You can also use frankincense Essential Oil which supports tissue regeneration and prevents scarring but I chose not to use this.
Making the padsicles
1. Lay out your desired pad on a clean surface (I used a chopping board, if you chose to use night sanitary pads keep the packing on the outside and carefully peel off the sticky tab but keep this for later!)
2. Apply 3/4 teaspoons of your witch hazel to each pad and allow to sink in
3. Apply 3 blobs of Aloe gel on each pad, making sure to evenly spread over the whole pad front to back using a teaspoon
4. Mix together 4 drops of each essential oil (per pad) and spray the length of the do with this mixture (I used 60 drops of each oil which sounds like loads but I made 20 pads and still have a lot of each essential oil left)
5. Leave to sink in for a few minutes whilst you finish the remaining pads
6. Wrap in cling film / Tin foil
7. Place in your freezer and use after labour.
If you have any other tips for labour feel free to leave in the comment section below!